Iceland is one of the few countries in the world that thinks chasing down whales with big harpoons is perfectly OK – not a popular viewpoint in the rest of the world.
Therefore, there’s something a little bit wrong about seeking your teeth into a whale burger. But some of us are going to hell anyway, so why not give it a go if you’re in Reykjavik, the Icelandic capital?
The Geysir Bistro and Bar is one of the few places in Reykjavik where the ordinary mortal can afford to eat without taking out a bank loan, and it’s rather nice. It’s a laid back, modern-style bar, with cute touches in the lighting and wooden pillars.
But for the bad people, the most important thing is that it serves a whale burger with lobster mayonnaise.
Obviously, it’s not a whole whale, but the meat looks rather like a steak. More horse-meat than prime rump cow, though.
And it’s what some would call an “acquired taste”. The burger is very chewy and packs a hefty meaty bang. The problem comes with the aftertaste – it’s overly salty and bordering on pungent. To be honest, it’s a battle to get through it, even for someone who loves trying out new meat.
The campaign to keep the whaling ban starts here...
Getting to the Geysir Bistro and Bar in Reykjavik
Nearest international airport: Keflavik International Airport is approximately 45 minutes away from Reykjavik by car or bus transfer.
Using public transport: For those staying in central Reykjavik, none is necessary – it’s in walking distance. The address is 2 Adalstraeti – it’s in the same building as the Tourist Information Centre.
More information: Geysir Bistro Bar
- Gibraltar - remnant of the British Empire
- Walk across Gibraltar Airport's runway
- London Transport Museum in Covent Garden, England
- Famagusta look-out in Deryneia, Cyprus
- Eat puffin in Reykjavik, Iceland - Laekjarbrekka r...
- Tour Chernobyl from Kiev, Ukraine
- BonBon Land theme park in Næstved, Denmark
- Eat whale burger in Reykjavik, Iceland - Geysir Bi...
- Benny from ABBA's Rival Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden...
- British Sovereign Base areas in Cyprus - Akrotiri ...
- The British Lawnmower Museum in Southport, England...
- Blue Lagoon in Iceland - Spa and Thermal Pools
- Black Taxi Tour - Falls Road and Shankhill Road in...
- International Esperanto Museum in Vienna, Austria
- ▼ July (14)