Pity the poor resident of Berry, Australia who wants a loaf of bread and bottle of milk. For such a small town, it has the most bewildering array of shopping. However, the amount of things that are actually useful can be counted on one hand. A disfigured hand, at that.
For some unknown reason, any Australian that has every dreamed of selling something of such narrow interest that there isn’t possibly a market for it has descended on Berry, and they are thriving.
A ramble down Queen Street in the New South Wales town is truly enthralling. You can buy sundials, cuckoo clocks, lizards made out of recycled metal and a ceramic biscuit jar in the shape of an elephant in high heels, sitting on an armchair. Are people actually buying this stuff?
If not, they are certainly not buying the fountain with two pigs playing tongue tennis inside it, the big furry owl in the castle turret, the acres of fake fruit and jester outfits.
It is all quite, quite surreal. Berry is the epitome of quaint, from the ye olde buildings to the bales of hay on the pavement of the high street. It’s undeniably gripping too, especially for those fond of people watching.
The British tourists are easy to spot – they’re the ones raiding the sweet shop and taking out the entire supply of biscuits thought long extinct. Then there’s those browsing the shops. Is anyone going to buy the granny nighties that everyone seems to have on prominent display? And perhaps more intriguingly, is anyone going to be fooled by an antiques shop that contains a glass model of the Sydney Opera House (opened in the ancient year of 1973)?
Getting to Berry, New South Wales, Australia
Nearest International Airport: Sydney Kingsford Smith airport
Using Public Transport: Berry is about 2 ½ hours drive south of Sydney. It is also on the South Coast train line from Sydney Central.
More information: Berry Website
- The Bognor International Birdman Contest - Bognor ...
- Water-jousting in Languedoc, France
- The world's craziest vanity projects
- Great Gorilla Run in London, England
- Daly Waters Pub in Australia’s Northern Territory
- Play or watch Pétanque in France
- Beatles tour in Liverpool, England
- Berry, New South Wales – Australia’s Novelty Shop ...
- Hotel Kafi Schnaps in Zurich, Switzerland. The Sch...
- Visit Elvis Presley’s home in Memphis, Tennessee
- World’s Oldest Museums – Musei Capitolini in Rome,...
- Clog Barn and Little Holland in Coffs Harbour, New...
- Hotel Otter – theme hotel in Zurich, Switzerland
- Royal Winery in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Anglesea Golf Club in Anglesea, Victoria, Australi...
- Republique du Saugeais in France
- Mouth of Truth in Rome, Italy
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle near Cork...
- Hutt River Principality, Australia
- Serial Killer Museum in Florence, Italy
- The world’s oldest pub – Sean’s Bar in Athlone, Re...
- Whangamomona – New Zealand’s breakaway republic
- Dog Collar Museum in Leeds Castle, Kent, England
- Muzeum Miniatur in Prague, Czech Republic
- National Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland: Learn...
- Hobbit House bar in Manila, Philippines
- Teddy Bear Museum in Wimbledon, London, England
- Clinic Bar, Clarke Quay, Singapore: Hospital theme...
- Alchemy Museum in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
- Pencil Museum in Cumbria, England
- Fingerhut Museum in Creglingen, Germany
- Green Hills Cafe in Chisinau, Moldova
- ▼ September (32)