The world’s craziest vanity projects
One of the great privileges of power is that you get to splash the cash on whatever you like. However, some rulers are more responsible than others, and for every one that will spend it on public services, there’s another that will build a giant golden palace. Whilst they may not be great for the long-suffering subjects, these massive vanity projects certainly have a wow factor that should impress even the most cynical visitor.
The Basilica of of Our Lady of Peace: The world’s biggest Christian place of worship in Yamoussoukro, Côte d'Ivoire.
Palace of the Parliament in Bucharest, Romania: Dictator Nicolae Ceauşescu’s grand folly, for which he destroyed up to a fifth of his capital city.
Rungnado May Day Stadium, Pyongyang, North Korea: The biggest sporting arena in the world
Palace of Versailles in France: Louis XIV’s extravagant seat of government.
The Neutrality Arch in Ashgabat: A giant monument to Turkmenistan’s President For Life, Saparmurat Niyazov, complete with rotating gold statue.
Mafra National Palace, Portugal: The lavish palace, built with Brazilian gold, that almost bankrupted a nation.
- The Bognor International Birdman Contest - Bognor ...
- Water-jousting in Languedoc, France
- The world's craziest vanity projects
- Great Gorilla Run in London, England
- Daly Waters Pub in Australia’s Northern Territory
- Play or watch Pétanque in France
- Beatles tour in Liverpool, England
- Berry, New South Wales – Australia’s Novelty Shop ...
- Hotel Kafi Schnaps in Zurich, Switzerland. The Sch...
- Visit Elvis Presley’s home in Memphis, Tennessee
- World’s Oldest Museums – Musei Capitolini in Rome,...
- Clog Barn and Little Holland in Coffs Harbour, New...
- Hotel Otter – theme hotel in Zurich, Switzerland
- Royal Winery in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Anglesea Golf Club in Anglesea, Victoria, Australi...
- Republique du Saugeais in France
- Mouth of Truth in Rome, Italy
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle near Cork...
- Hutt River Principality, Australia
- Serial Killer Museum in Florence, Italy
- The world’s oldest pub – Sean’s Bar in Athlone, Re...
- Whangamomona – New Zealand’s breakaway republic
- Dog Collar Museum in Leeds Castle, Kent, England
- Muzeum Miniatur in Prague, Czech Republic
- National Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland: Learn...
- Hobbit House bar in Manila, Philippines
- Teddy Bear Museum in Wimbledon, London, England
- Clinic Bar, Clarke Quay, Singapore: Hospital theme...
- Alchemy Museum in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
- Pencil Museum in Cumbria, England
- Fingerhut Museum in Creglingen, Germany
- Green Hills Cafe in Chisinau, Moldova
- ▼ September (32)