For a stereotypical image of France, aside from a man in a stripy shirt with onions round his neck underneath the Eiffel tower, you cannot beat a game of boules.
Ah... old men - preferably wearing berets and smoking pipes - leisurely lobbing metal balls into a sandpit in the afternoon sunshine.
The idea is fairly simple, and is closely related to the British version of bowling. The closer you get to the small jack, the better.
Pétanque is the more simplified version of boules, and originated in the south of the country, where it is more prevalent. Ostensibly, it is played for fun, although it doesn’t take much watching to realise that this isn’t the case. At even the lowest level, it is regarded as a game of precision and technique, and this has a tendency to fuel male pride.
It’s important to bear this in mind if you fancy a game. A complete stranger is unlikely to offer you the chance to play, while if you buy your own set of boules, consider the serious looks on the faces around you before treating it as a raucous lark in the local Boulodrome.
Should you wish to watch, then Grenoble is something of a hotspot. The city at the foot of the Alps has held three of the last five World Championships in the sport, hosting competitors from 52 nations.
However, for a dip into history, try the small village of La Ciotat. Just outside Marseille, this is where the game originated.
- The Bognor International Birdman Contest - Bognor ...
- Water-jousting in Languedoc, France
- The world's craziest vanity projects
- Great Gorilla Run in London, England
- Daly Waters Pub in Australia’s Northern Territory
- Play or watch Pétanque in France
- Beatles tour in Liverpool, England
- Berry, New South Wales – Australia’s Novelty Shop ...
- Hotel Kafi Schnaps in Zurich, Switzerland. The Sch...
- Visit Elvis Presley’s home in Memphis, Tennessee
- World’s Oldest Museums – Musei Capitolini in Rome,...
- Clog Barn and Little Holland in Coffs Harbour, New...
- Hotel Otter – theme hotel in Zurich, Switzerland
- Royal Winery in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Anglesea Golf Club in Anglesea, Victoria, Australi...
- Republique du Saugeais in France
- Mouth of Truth in Rome, Italy
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle near Cork...
- Hutt River Principality, Australia
- Serial Killer Museum in Florence, Italy
- The world’s oldest pub – Sean’s Bar in Athlone, Re...
- Whangamomona – New Zealand’s breakaway republic
- Dog Collar Museum in Leeds Castle, Kent, England
- Muzeum Miniatur in Prague, Czech Republic
- National Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland: Learn...
- Hobbit House bar in Manila, Philippines
- Teddy Bear Museum in Wimbledon, London, England
- Clinic Bar, Clarke Quay, Singapore: Hospital theme...
- Alchemy Museum in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
- Pencil Museum in Cumbria, England
- Fingerhut Museum in Creglingen, Germany
- Green Hills Cafe in Chisinau, Moldova
- ▼ September (32)