There is wine-tasting, and then there is wine-tasting in Vaduz, Liechtenstein. The tiny Alpine principality has the world’s smallest wine industry. There’s just the one winery, and that’s owned by the Prince of Liechtenstein.
According to United Nations figures, Liechtenstein produces just 80 tonnes of wine per year. For a sense of perspective, compare that to the five million churned out by France. Or, even better, the 77,000 and 45,000 produced by Algeria and Uzbekistan respectively.
Turn up any time outside of the summer, and it seems a ridiculous proposition. The vineyard is overrun by goats, and is in the foothills of some terribly large snow-covered mountains. Hardly the perfect terroir for viticulture...
But rock up at the Hofkellerei (the winery of the Princely Court) in Vaduz and you get to sample one of the most exclusive wines in the world for free. The pinot noir is sold only in Vaduz. And, believe it or not, it’s absolutely sensational.
Getting to Vaduz, Liechtenstein
Nearest international airport: Liechtenstein doesn’t have an airport, so the nearest is in Zurich, Switzerland.
Using public transport: Get the train from Zurich’s main railway station to Sargans or Buchs on the border. From there, a lime green post bus goes to Vaduz and stops near the Hofkellerei.
More details: Hofkellerei
- The Bognor International Birdman Contest - Bognor ...
- Water-jousting in Languedoc, France
- The world's craziest vanity projects
- Great Gorilla Run in London, England
- Daly Waters Pub in Australia’s Northern Territory
- Play or watch Pétanque in France
- Beatles tour in Liverpool, England
- Berry, New South Wales – Australia’s Novelty Shop ...
- Hotel Kafi Schnaps in Zurich, Switzerland. The Sch...
- Visit Elvis Presley’s home in Memphis, Tennessee
- World’s Oldest Museums – Musei Capitolini in Rome,...
- Clog Barn and Little Holland in Coffs Harbour, New...
- Hotel Otter – theme hotel in Zurich, Switzerland
- Royal Winery in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Anglesea Golf Club in Anglesea, Victoria, Australi...
- Republique du Saugeais in France
- Mouth of Truth in Rome, Italy
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle near Cork...
- Hutt River Principality, Australia
- Serial Killer Museum in Florence, Italy
- The world’s oldest pub – Sean’s Bar in Athlone, Re...
- Whangamomona – New Zealand’s breakaway republic
- Dog Collar Museum in Leeds Castle, Kent, England
- Muzeum Miniatur in Prague, Czech Republic
- National Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland: Learn...
- Hobbit House bar in Manila, Philippines
- Teddy Bear Museum in Wimbledon, London, England
- Clinic Bar, Clarke Quay, Singapore: Hospital theme...
- Alchemy Museum in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
- Pencil Museum in Cumbria, England
- Fingerhut Museum in Creglingen, Germany
- Green Hills Cafe in Chisinau, Moldova
- ▼ September (32)