At some point in the distant past, the French decided that you don’t need a horse to be a knight in shining armour, and the truly bizarre sport of water jousting was born.
Practiced increasingly across France, it involves two groups of eight rowers powering their champion down the river.
Perched on a heightened platform, the two jousters are armed with a lance and a shield and expected to prod, swing and defend until one of them is knocked off, preferably into the river.
For some reason, the boats also contain a drummer and someone playing a modified oboe, but given that the rest of it makes little sense, who cares? Oh yes, and they’re all singing too.
Languedoc is regarded as the home of water jousting, and while it also happens elsewhere, this is often with ultra-safe lances, and a lot of the pageantry taken out.
The most prestigious tournament is held in Sète on August 25th every year, but events can be stumbled across throughout the summer.
More information: Rules and dates can be found at the Fédération Française de Joutes et Sauvetage Nautique’s website.
- The Bognor International Birdman Contest - Bognor ...
- Water-jousting in Languedoc, France
- The world's craziest vanity projects
- Great Gorilla Run in London, England
- Daly Waters Pub in Australia’s Northern Territory
- Play or watch Pétanque in France
- Beatles tour in Liverpool, England
- Berry, New South Wales – Australia’s Novelty Shop ...
- Hotel Kafi Schnaps in Zurich, Switzerland. The Sch...
- Visit Elvis Presley’s home in Memphis, Tennessee
- World’s Oldest Museums – Musei Capitolini in Rome,...
- Clog Barn and Little Holland in Coffs Harbour, New...
- Hotel Otter – theme hotel in Zurich, Switzerland
- Royal Winery in Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Anglesea Golf Club in Anglesea, Victoria, Australi...
- Republique du Saugeais in France
- Mouth of Truth in Rome, Italy
- Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle near Cork...
- Hutt River Principality, Australia
- Serial Killer Museum in Florence, Italy
- The world’s oldest pub – Sean’s Bar in Athlone, Re...
- Whangamomona – New Zealand’s breakaway republic
- Dog Collar Museum in Leeds Castle, Kent, England
- Muzeum Miniatur in Prague, Czech Republic
- National Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland: Learn...
- Hobbit House bar in Manila, Philippines
- Teddy Bear Museum in Wimbledon, London, England
- Clinic Bar, Clarke Quay, Singapore: Hospital theme...
- Alchemy Museum in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
- Pencil Museum in Cumbria, England
- Fingerhut Museum in Creglingen, Germany
- Green Hills Cafe in Chisinau, Moldova
- ▼ September (32)