Tuesday 5 August 2008

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Cuddle a koala
As I gently stroke her neck, ruffling her hair, Elise moves closer. I can feel the pounding of her heart, her warmth against my chest. Moving my hand down her back, she reaches for me, sliding her delicate wrist and hand further up my shoulder.
If Elise wasn’t a koala, this would be a truly romantic moment. As it is, she’s rather hairy and definitely not my type, but despite attempts to pretend I am being gruff and manly, I can’t help going “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww cuuuuute!” inside.

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, Australia is one of the few places in the country, let alone the world, where you can get this up close and personal with a koala. The cuddling is strictly not allowed south of the Queensland border, and Lone Pine, being rather big, has a crack squad of koalas that can hug ever the sternest soul into submission.
There are strict rules that govern the man to beast bonding. The little furry things can only be handled for half an hour at a time, and must get every fourth day off. This ensures that they get plenty of time to eat and sleep, and aren’t just passed around like the salt pot at a High Cholesterol Anonymous dinner party.

Koalas? Dull?
I have to confess that, before this point, I have never been the greatest fan of koalas. From previous experience, they are really dull creatures, constantly sleeping and about as liable to do entertaining tricks as the world’s worst magician. However, here there must be something extra-special in the eucalyptus leaves. They actually do things, and two little cubs steal the show by clambering on each other, scurrying across the floor and leapfrogging their parents. I’m sorry koalas – I was completely wrong about you in the past.

Getting to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Nearest International Airport: Brisbane

Using public transport: Get bus number 430 from George Street.

More information: Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>>The cuddling is strictly not allowed south of the Queensland border,<<

Yes ... at the Koala Park at Pennent Hills, NSW, you're allowed to stroke, but not cuddle ... and most of the time, they just cling to the tree being koalas.

But, I'm pretty sure you used to be allowed to cuddle; I think I have some pictures. But, the little girl in them is in her early 20s now!

Blog Archive